What is the ARMSA SANS 1731:2017 Tank standard?
The Association of Rotational Moulders of Southern Africa (ARMSA) developed this South African National Standard 1731:2017 in conjunction with the South African Bureau of Standard (SABS). It applies to polyethylene (plastic) chemical and water storage tanks,
Why was it necessary to develop a tank standard for South Africa?
The SANS 1731:2017 tank standard is proof that polyethylene chemical and water storage tanks manufactured in South Africa are correctly designed and manufactured to be fit for purpose for the length of its warranty life. The tank standard specifically considers South African conditions and therefore compels South African tank manufacturers to conform to world best practice.
Who does the tank standard benefit?
The tank standard protects members of the broader construction, architecture, plumbing, landscaping and built industries as well as consumers, against tanks of lesser quality.
What specifications are included in the SANS 1731:2017 tank standard:
- Specific criteria in terms of the source of raw material, ultra violet protection, overall weight, wall thickness, light penetration, stress crack resistance and impact strength for a range of different sizes.
- Assurance that the production methods used to manufacture the tanks comply with best practice
- Traceability must be built into the manufacturer’s control systems.
- An audit check for actual storage volumes vs stated volumes
- An evaluation of the overall appearance of the finished tanks
- Certification of the requisite number and type of fittings and the date of manufacture.
How to comply
Tank manufacturers must contact Productivity Engineering Services and Consultants (PESC) auditing company, the ARMSA appointed independent third party, to arrange regular audits on their products.
Who to contact for detailed compliance information
Only a Certificate is Proof of compliance
If a manufacturer is compliant, PESC will issue a certificate giving independent assurance of a manufacturer’s claim that their products meet the SANS 1731:2017 criteria.
Any tank manufacturer can claim to meet the SANS 1731:2017 standard but without formal certification there is no guarantee. We therefore urge all stakeholders and buyers to request the PESC certificate from the manufacturer prior to purchase. It is the only guarantee that tanks delivered to sites or homes have been thoroughly tested and certified.
Market your compliance
Compliant tank manufacturers will be able to market their compliance using the ARMSA /SANS approved sticker on their tanks. They will also be able to use the certificate and sticker in their general marketing programmes.